17 criminals who were locked up in Nottinghamshire last month

Nine men were sentenced to a combined total of over 62 years last month after they travelled from London to Nottingham to steal cannabis.

Nottingham Crown Court heard the group headed to a house in Forest Fields where some attacked an occupant before removing a cannabis grow from the property.

Other cases heard before the courts included an arsonist who went to jail for starting a fire at a neighbouring business, and a shopper who brandished a sword following a scuffle with a man who attacked him.

Read about their cases here:

Gang came to city to steal cannabis grow and ‘deal with’ occupants

A man was beaten by gang members who travelled from London to Nottingham to steal a cannabis grow and armed themselves with weapons.

The ten-strong group – with possibly up to four others – headed to the city in four vehicles in the early hours of May 20 last year, Nottingham Crown Court heard.

The target of the trip was a house in Myrtle Avenue, Forest Fields, an unremarkable terraced home in a residential street.

The trip to the city was planned with the purpose of entering the property, dealing with who was inside and removing the cannabis and loading it into a VW van and taking it up to London.

Weapons were inside the van – a mobile arsenal – and distributed once the convoy reached the area.

Once the van, hired by Edmund Mackwar, parked nearby, the back doors were opened and there was a congregation of defendants at the back being passed items from within.

As the group walked up Myrtle Avenue, the driver of a BMW, which was part of the convoy, was Bilal Mohamed, 23, of Hughes Terrace, London, who parked up in Myrtle Avenue.

He blocked the exit of the VW van, leaving police with no difficulty stopping those two vehicles from escaping.

An Audi, driven by 28-year-old Henock Eskinder, of Oban Street, London, parked at the end of Myrtle Avenue and he stayed in the car. A Vauxhall Vectra was parked out of sight of CCTV nearby and was available as a second getaway vehicle.

Some went to the property’s door which was kicked off its hinges. The occupant came to the door and was attacked, including with weapons, but he got away.

The members of the gang
The members of the gang

Some of the defendants pursued hum, caught up and assaulted him – including with stamps and kicks. He got up and was dragged back to Myrtle Avenue and assaulted again before he ran off. He had a cut to his head, stab to the left shoulder and bruising.

The householder was dealt with separately for being concerned in the cultivation of cannabis and received nine months in prison.

Brothers Jedidia, 25, and Rex Kibambe, 27, both of no fixed address, were among those at the door and blood was found on their clothes and shoes.

As the cannabis raid was under way, nearby residents were looking out of their windows at 4am and captured what happened on mobile phones. Police were alerted and arrived, stopping the BMW and VW van from going anywhere.

Three were caught – university student Mohamed, Mackwar, 31, of Court Wood Lane, Croydon, Temi Peters, 23, of Sutherland Avenue, Welling.

Everyone else got away from Nottingham but only as far as the M1 in Northamptonshire where the Audi and Vauxhall were stopped and five further defendants were arrested.

Toryon David, 24, of Hardres Street, Ramsgate, and look-out Earl Coelho De Carvalho, 23, of Major Close, London, got from Nottingham to London. They were traced after leaving wallets and phones at the scene.

The defendants had varying roles in the enterprise. They all pleaded guilty to aggravated burglary.

The sentences:

Jedidia Kibambe: 7 years and three months

Rex Kibambe: 8 years and 5 months

Gaele Meya, 25, of Meister Close, Ilford: 6 years and 10 months

Henock Eskinder: 6 years and 7 months

Bilal Mohamed: 7 years and 5 months

Look-out Josh Dawson, 24, of Brisbane Street, London: 6 years and ten months

Temi Peters: 6 years and 7 months

Earl Coelho De Carvalho: 6 years

Look-out Toryon David: 6 years and 10 months

* Edmund Mackwar will be sentenced at a later date

Nottinghamshire man beat up victim over unpaid debt

Dean Barsley who beat up a man over a £125 debt was jailed for four years.

Barsley, 38, kicked and punched his victim in the face after entering his home.

The victim was left with a bruised and swollen eye after the assault.

Barsley then stole £100 from the man’s wallet before threatening to damage his flat unless he was given another £100 the next day.

Dean Barsley

The attack was reported and Barsley, of Kingston Road, Warsop, was arrested and charged.

He was found guilty of blackmail and assault occasioning actual bodily harm following a trial at Nottingham Crown Court.

Barsley was sentenced on Wednesday, September 22.

He also received an indefinite restraining order against the victim and ordered not to contact him.

Large carving knife held to man’s throat in street after shop robbed

A man carried out a knife-point robbery at a shop shortly before attacking a man in the street with a large carving knife.

The 42-year-old pointed the knife at the staff member, demanding money from the till at around 12pm on April 4 this year

After being refused, he left angrily and picked up a crate of beer without making any attempt to pay.

He proceeded to grab a man off the street and held the weapon to his throat whilst attempting to drag the victim into his flat.

Timothy George, 42, of Wellington Square, Retford.
Timothy George, 42, of Wellington Square, Retford.

The victim managed to break free but had been cut on his arm by the knife.

Timothy George, of Wellington Square, Retford, is now serving a six-year jail term after he was charged with robbery and two counts of possessing a bladed article.

He was sentenced on Friday, September 17, at Nottingham Crown Court to serve six years in jail and a further three years on extended licence.

Mr George had pleaded guilty at Nottingham Magistrates’ Court at a previous hearing.

‘Jealous’ mini market owner set fire to neighbour’s business

A mini market owner who was said to be jealous of a neighbour’s business set it on fire, causing a “scene of devastation” which could have been “catastrophic”.

The fire, at Wheeler’s off-licence and convenience store, in Flatts, Lane, Calverton, was started after petrol and oil were poured through a vent and ignited.

The shop was in a terraced row of businesses, with four flats above and two were occupied at the time.

Nottingham Crown Court heard on Monday, September 20, that internal CCTV showed movement in the kitchen area and an object dropped in a sink followed by a splash of liquid and the sink engulfing in flames.

Offender Kirit Patel, a married father-of-two who owned nearby Calverton News, which he ran for more than 18 years, had sprayed paint over a neighbouring cafe’s CCTV cameras in an attempt to get away with arson.

Kirit Patel
Kirit Patel

The owner of Wheeler’s arrived at 8am on a morning in February 2019 and described a “scene of devastation”.

Extensive damage was caused by the fire to the kitchen area at the back of the shop, where the sink was totally melted with soot and ash deposited everywhere in the area.

The fire damage and lost stock amounted to £15,000.

Video Loading

But the fire also affected the shop’s sale and its agreed purchase price, which had to be reduced from £55,000 to £35,000.

Patel was present at the scene in his vehicle driving up and down the road after the fire. He spoke to an officer and he asked what police thought had happened and what had been captured on CCTV.

A glove left in the middle of a yard at the rear of the shops had a DNA trace to the defendant, whose barrister, Victoria Rose, said, “has no recollection of events”.

Police searched his van and news shop and found fuel cans, ladders similar to those used by the firestarter and a black spray paint can, which matched the colour used to damage the CCTV cameras.

Patel provided a prepared statement where he said would “never do this to anyone” and he had no issues with the shop owner or anyone else at the shop.

Aftermath of the kitchen fire
Aftermath of the kitchen fire

But his account was not accepted by those locally who ran their businesses, the court heard.

Patel ran a shop which sold a lot of the same products as Wheeler’s and the victim was made aware the defendant was jealous of his business and saw him as direct competition.

Patel, 67, was said to have bad-mouthed the victim.

Patel, of Moorsholm Drive, Wollaton, was sentenced to three years in prison after pleading guilty to arson, causing damage by fire to a building and contents. He received one-month concurrently for damaging the CCTV cameras.

Judge Steven Coupland told Patel he had asked questions to establish where the vent led to and made three trips that morning – to disable the CCTV cameras, to collect ladders to get up to the vent and to bring petrol with him to set fire to the shop.

“The effects of what you did could have been catastrophic,” said the judge. “You could have destroyed all four businesses that were linked, caused serious damage or risk to the flats above”.

Never miss another Nottinghamshire story with our free email updates

A view of Nottingham's Old Market Square.

If you want to make sure you’re in the loop with what’s happening locally, subscribe to our free email updates.

We’ll send you daily Nottinghamshire Live newsletters, plus breaking news as it happens, directly to your inbox.

All you have to do is head to this page and select the newsletters you want to receive – or enter your email into the black box at the top of this story.

Man jailed for headbutting shop worker and exposing himself to a member of staff

Martin Bramley, 58, headbutted a shop worker and exposed himself in a fast-food restaurant.

He was told to leave an amusement arcade after reportedly threatening and abusing his victim before pinning him between two chairs.

He was arrested following the incident in Stockwell Gate, Mansfield, at around 2.40am on June 21.

The man, of Vale Road, Mansfield Woodhouse, later admitted to assault by beating and common assault.

Martin Bramley, 58, was sent behind bars.
Martin Bramley, 58, was sent behind bars.

He also admitted to an offence of exposure in relation to an unrelated incident on June 4, when he entered a Nottinghamshire restaurant and pulled his trousers down.

In addition, he pleaded guilty to a charge of failing to comply with the terms of an existing court order relating to a previous sexual offence.

He appeared at Nottingham Crown Court on Thursday, September 9, and was sentenced to a total of 12 months in prison.

‘Descent into madness’ led to crime rampage in Sutton-in-Ashfield streets

A list of offences were catalogued in Sutton-in-Ashfield during what a criminal’s solicitor had called “a drug-induced descent into madness”.

Derby Crown Court heard how 37-year-old Stewart Proctor, of Elder Street, Sutton-in-Ashfield, attacked a woman who decided to leave his property after he told her “I am God, I am a wizard”.

He went on to stop traffic in the street offering to fight men in a van and then dropped his trousers and exposed himself to strangers, Derbyshire Live reported.

The defendant assaulted a second woman, racially-abused a third who was a neighbour whose CCTV cameras he stole.

Stewart Proctor: Jailed for 28 months
Stewart Proctor: Jailed for 28 months

And Proctor also spat repeatedly at a police officer who had gone to his home amid fears the defendant would harm himself.

He was jailed for a total of 28 months.

Katrina Wilson, prosecuting, said the offences took place between April 2019 and December 2020.

Proctor pleaded guilty to charges including assault occasioning actual bodily harm, indecent exposure, affray and criminal damage.

But he took one of the cases to trial meaning one of the women he assaulted had to relive her ordeal giving evidence at Derby Crown Court.

On that occasion, a jury found him guilty of assault occasioning actual bodily harm.

As well as the jail sentence, he was given a five-year restraining order not to contact her.

Christopher Brewin, defending, said: “There is background that led to demons being released during a drug-induced descent into madness.

“He knows he is going to be spending some time in custody and he is worried about losing his accommodation.”

Uninvited stranger stabbed and slashed family at pub funeral wake

Two brothers were stabbed and their sister slashed in the face after an uninvited guest lashed out with a weapon at a family wake.

Mourners visited the Crusader pub, Hartness Road, Clifton, after a funeral on May 21, 2019, Nottingham Crown Court heard on Monday, September 13.

As they gathered in one room, Chantelle Phillips noticed stranger Kyle Parkin, wearing a high visibility vest and drunk, repeatedly walking past her table where she was sitting.

He approached and asked for her name and number and whether he could buy her a drink. She declined and he hung around for a while before moving to another area of the pub.

The Crusader pub in Clifton, and Kyle Parkin
The Crusader pub in Clifton, and Kyle Parkin

Her brother, Daniel Phillips, noticed Parkin staring at him in what he perceived as being in a direct and confrontational manner.

Parkin, who had been drinking heavily and had been using cocaine the night before, had his hand in his right pocket holding an object. Daniel Phillips interpreted that as Parkin letting him know he had an object.

Daniel and his brother, Lee Phillips, went to the bar and it was there Parkin went to his pocket again. Daniel believed he was going for a knife, so Daniel punched Parkin, knocking him down.

Parkin stood up and pulled out what was thought at the time to be a knife – but he said later it was a “dry walling tool” – and thrust it towards Lee Phillips stabbing him in the ribs.

Daniel pulled his brother towards a function room but Parkin followed them with the weapon held down by his side.

Chantelle Phillips saw Parkin shouting in Daniel’s face, so she stood between him and her brother, and told Parkin to “go away”.

Chantelle was slashed in the face and Daniel stabbed in his left leg and in his ribs.

Lee Phillips was coughing blood. He had a punctured lung but the injury was closed with stitches.

Daniel Phillips needed 16 stitches to close a wound to his leg.

Chantelle had a slash wound to her left eye lid and a small wound to the corner of the same eye which required four stitches

Parkin, 32, of Dungannon Road, Clifton, was on bail for the pub incident when he was found in the driver’s seat of a car with false plates with a kitchen knife in a man bag outside The Fairham pub, Clifton, on April 12. He said he lent the vehicle to another person and he found the knife and put it in the bag for safekeeping.

He admitted three charges of causing grievous bodily harm with intent and two offences of possessing a bladed article.

His total sentence was seven-and-a-half years in custody and four-and-a-half years on extended licence.

Judge James Sampson said he found Parkin to be dangerous in the meaning of the statutory criteria. Parkin will be eligible for consideration for release when two-thirds of the custodial element of the sentence has been served.

Matthew Smith, mitigating, said Parkin was a self-employed labourer at the time, building walls, and the tool was in his pocket.

Man who brandished sword in Nottingham shopping area

Jason Rowley was jailed after he brandished a sword following a scuffle with a man who attacked him.

He was sentenced on Tuesday, September 7, for possessing a bladed article in a public place – the sword.

Jason Rowley was sentenced at Nottingham Crown Court
Jason Rowley was sentenced at Nottingham Crown Court

He was locked up after he appeared at Nottingham Crown Court where he was given a 12-month term, of which he will serve half and the remainder on licence, with supervision from the probation service for 12 months.

Rowley, 41, of Willersley Drive, The Meadows, had been involved in a scuffle outside Co-op in the Bridgeway Centre, The Meadows, with another man.

Rowley had been kicked as he carried a crate of beer. He dropped the beer, left and returned a few minutes later shouting, “I will kill you”.

The man who had kicked him retreated with members of the public to The Poet’s Corner Pub, also at the Bridgeway, while Rowley waved the sword around for two minutes before going to nearby flats.

Man kicked police officer in throat as he tried to escape arrest

Ashby Espin assaulted two female police officers, including kicking one in the throat

Espin, of Market Street, Worksop, attacked the officers at around 6.15pm on Wednesday, September 1, as he attempted to escape arrest after breaking a garden gate during a disturbance on Frederick Street, Worksop.

Ashby Espin
Ashby Espin

As the 30-year-old scrambled over a wall, he began kicking out at officers, striking one in the neck and another in the arm and chest.

The officer kicked in the throat went to hospital after the attack, however, suffered no serious injury.

Appearing at Nottingham Magistrates’ Court on Friday, September 3, Espin pleaded guilty to two counts of assaulting an emergency worker and one count of causing criminal damage, and was jailed for 12 weeks.