Nottingham residents have said that they were “not surprised” by reports of fighting on a busy city centre street.
Police made six arrests in connection with reports of people fighting with a metal pole and belts in Lower Parliament Street, at around 3.20am on Sunday (October 3).
Officers arrested six men after being made aware of the incident, two aged 23, two aged 21, a 22-year-old and a 17-year-old on suspicion of affray. They also dispersed onlookers.
They also recovered a number of discarded weapons in the area.
Shoppers on Lower Parliament said that they were not overly shocked by the reported fight, but said that they generally felt safe in the area.
Josh Allder, 22, and Adam Nunez, 21, who both study architecture at Nottingham Trent University and live near to Lower Parliament Street, were not surprised by the incident.
Josh said: “I think stuff like that happens in every big city occasionally, I don’t think it’s a huge problem for Nottingham, even though it does sound bad.
“I think we both feel quite safe here but you’re always going to have stuff going on late at night and early in the morning.”
Adam added: “It sounds like it would be scary if you were there, but I don’t think here is bad for crime so it seems like a bit of an outlier.
“I never really think I have to be aware of stuff like that here in the city centre, near all these shops and other people.”
Couple Ken and Audrey Haywood, both 75-year-old retirees from Bilborough, thought that crime had gotten worse in the city.
Ken said: “Blimey. That does sound quite crazy with weapons and stuff right here in the high street. You wouldn’t expect it here.
“I don’t know how I would reacted to seeing that, apart from being rightly worried and scared.”
Audrey said: “The crime here has to be stopped it is awful, and that sounds like another awful night of it.
“I do not think there are enough police on the streets there are hardly any at noon, I doubt there are many on the beat in the morning on a Sunday.
“I would never go out now at night here in Nottingham.”
Brian Stewart, 82, who is retired and lives in Edwalton, said that he would understand if people felt unsafe after the incident.
He said: “I am shocked just because of it happening here on a busy road, but the fight or whatever it was doesn’t surprise me at all.
“I don’t blame the police because they do what they can and they don’t have as many officers as they used to.
“I don’t personally feel unsafe but I wouldn’t blame people if they were after hearing reports like that, safety concerns do not help bring people into the city’s businesses and it must keep people away from town.
Police have warned that further arrests were likely to follow as an investigation progresses.
Chief Inspector Mark Stanley, of Nottinghamshire Police, said: “Inquiries are continuing to establish the circumstances of the incident and while we have made six arrests so far, detectives are working to identify further individuals who may have been involved.
“We will be reviewing extensive CCTV footage in the city centre and speaking to witnesses and anyone who we suspect of engaging in violence in our city can expect to be dealt with robustly.
“We are committed to ensuring people can visit and enjoy a safe night out in Nottinghamshire and will have no hesitation in putting people before the courts if they are violent.”
To read all the biggest and best stories first sign up to read our newsletters here .