Now playing
Odyssey Inside Out

Derby teen admits killing young man in street fight

A 16-year-old Derby boy claims he was acting in self-defence when he stabbed a man to death in the city centre.

The teenager told police he picked a lock knife up from the ground and stuck it into the neck of Josh Carter during a fight or scuffle with the 22-year-old victim, of Mackworth.

But the prosecution, at Derby Crown Court, claim the weapon the teen says someone else must have taken to the scene, instead was his.

The young defendant, of Sinfin and whose identity is protected by law, is on trial for the murder of Mr Carter and for wounding with intent to cause grievous bodily harm of a second man he admits he also stabbed during the short incident in Cheapside.

Read more Derbyshire crime stories

He has pleaded not guilty to both charges and to a third charge of possession of a knife.

Steven Bailey, prosecuting, told the jury: “This case is about a few seconds in Derby city centre just before 4.30am in the early hours of Saturday, August 14, 2021.

“Seemingly, out of nowhere, possibly over what might be described as ‘something or nothing’ a scuffle or fight, if you could call it that, broke out between a number of young men outside a takeaway called Wow Pizza on the corner of Cheapside and The Strand.

“What happened in these few seconds left a a 22-year-old man called Josh Carter as good as bled to death from a stab wound to the left side of his neck.

“It left another young man with a stab wound to his back from the same knife that killed Josh Carter.

Mr Bailey told the jury of six women and six men: “The defendant ran away having inflicted both injuries and when he was arrested after a struggle with the police he was found with a lock knife hidden down the front of his jeans.

“(The defendant) accepts he inflicted the wounds and he agrees he did that with the lock knife that the police found tucked into the front of his jeans.

“The prosecution say that is his knife.

“He says he picked it up off the ground and that somebody must have taken it there and had it.

“He says somebody else must have dropped it at the vital moment he was on the ground just in his reach.

“(The defendant) says that when he used the knife to kill Josh Carter and to wound (the second man) he was doing so lawfully.

“He says he was defending himself from Josh Carter and that he was lashing out in panic.

“(The defendant) says when he stuck the same knife into the back of (the second man) he was defending his older brother who (the second man) was fighting with.

“The prosecution says that whatever else you might hear in this trial there is no evidence anybody else had a knife or any other sort of weapon.

“We say when he killed Josh Carter, or inflicted the fatal blow that killed him, and (the defendant) agrees that he did, he intended to kill Josh or at the very least cause him really serious harm.

“(The defendant) says he only had this lock knife in his right hand for a split second in panic.

“This case is a tragic one for everybody concerned.”

Mr Bailey said on the morning of the stabbings, Mr Carter and his group of friends had been on a night out in the city, including going to The Blue Note, in Sadler Gate and had ended up going to get food from Wow Pizza.

He said the defendant was out with his older brother and the second stab victim was part of a third group.

The prosecutor said all three of the groups ended up outside the takeaway where violence began.

Mr Bailey said: “It is fair to say the defendant either fell or was bundled to the ground where someone either kicked or tried to kick him.

“He was up within a fraction of a second and once he was up he was facing off with Josh Carter.

“What the prosecution says is that it will be clear Josh Carter with no weapon in either of his hands.

“They were swinging blows at each other and what happened next, the prosecution says, is that (the defendant) stepped back slightly, dip his right shoulder and then reach towards his waistband.

“When he went back towards Josh Carter in his hand was the lock knife.

“He did not just wave it at the unarmed Josh Carter, he went in for the kill, he raised the knife and struck Josh to the neck with it.

“On what planet was that self-defence?”

Mr Bailey said the jury will hear evidence that the knife went into Mr Carter’s neck 7.3cm from the tip of the blade and cut one of the major arteries which carries blood to the brain.

He said the victim was taken to hospital, but despite the best efforts of the medics, he was declared deceased two days later.

The prosecutor said after attacking Mr Carter, the defendant ran from the scene he was chased by a police officer who he said witnessed the defendant stab the second man in the back.

Mr Bailey said: “That was also seen by a witness who just happened to be out for the night.

“That witness did what he could in terms of first aid putting his finger in the knife wound to stem the flow of the blood.”

He said the defendant was chased down The Strand and on to The Wardwick where he was captured and arrested.

The prosecutor said: “To use the old phrase he did not want to come quietly, they Tasered him and he was subdued.

“He struggled and protested and at that stage told lies saying he had done nothing and did not have a weapon.

“He had done something, he had done two very big things and he must have known he had been seen doing them.

“The lock knife was found on him and it was closed, even at the age of 16 he had the speed and familiarity to know how it worked.”

Mr Bailey said the defendant gave a false name to the police and false ID carrying that name was found on him.

He said in interview the defendant answered “no comment” to the questions he was asked.

The prosecutor said when the defendant’s home was searched, a machete, a Rambo knife and a jagged-edged knife were discovered under his bed.

And investigations also revealed that three weeks before the fatal stabbing, the defendant had been for a long weekend away at Blackpool with his mother and grandmother where he bought and photographed knives including one the prosecution claim is identical to the one used on Mr Carter and the second man.

The trial, which is expected to last two weeks, continues.

To see all the biggest and best stories first, sign up to read our newsletters here