Now playing
Jung Kook Dreamers

Derbyshire family face £5,000 vet bill after kitten’s hit and run

A Derbyshire family say they face a £5,000 bill after their kitten had to undergo life-saving surgery following a hit-and-run crash.

Arlo, who is 11 months old, was left with catastrophic injuries after being run over by a car in Long Eaton last month.

Now the family are trying to encourage well-wishers and cat-lovers to help them pay for Arlo’s care.

The cat had been in Conway Street in the town on Friday, January 28, when he was struck by a vehicle, something which left him with multiple broken bones.

Nottinghamshire Live reports he was able to make it home and go to sleep, but his owner Mia Rollinson realised something was wrong when he started struggling to breath and was no longer acting like his normal self.

“We thought he was tired, he’s usually very noisy and vocal and that’s when we realised something wasn’t right,” said the 23-year-old from Long Eaton.

She then took Arlo to Vets 4 Pets in Chilwell, where the first thing the vet said was that he had been hit by a car.

Mia added: “We were kicking ourselves.

“Our street is notorious for people using it as a cut through or speed.

“It is a 30mph road but it’s a double parked street.”

Because it was a Saturday they needed to see an out-of-hours emergency vet to deal with the injuries.

Before heading there, Ms Rollinson then checked her CCTV outside the house and was shocked to see footage of her kitten be hit by a car and fly up into the air.

She said: “It was horrific to watch, I threw up, I was in tears.

Arlo, 11 months old, after being hit by a car.
Arlo, 11 months old, after being hit by a car.

“He was then taken to Vets Now in Dunkirk, and we were told he was improving.”

Arlo had suffered a fractured hard palate and pelvis and has required oxygen tanks, multiple x-rays and ultrasounds.

He underwent surgery on Tuesday February 1.

During Arlo’s first surgery, he suffered a cardiac arrest and died on the table, the vets called the family to ask if they wanted them to continue performing CPR – the family, hopeful of his recovery, told the vets to keep going.

After an agonising 45 minute wait, the vet called and said he had come back to life.

Ms Rollinson said: “It was horrific and hard, we had started to grieve.

“We cannot fault the vets, it was such a big relief for us.”

Arlo was able to be reunited with his family and went back home yesterday, February 3.

Mia and her partner are awaiting a consultation next Wednesday to find out when he will need his second surgery.

Mia set up a GoFundMe page after finding out how much the procedure would cost.

She said: “It’s been an emotional roller coaster, I thought what have we got to lose for setting it up.

“It’s very surreal to see how much people are willing to help.

“We’ve had to borrow money from a friend but we are so thankful, we are also trying to sell stuff, Arlo will get this surgery.”

Mia’s page has already raised £500 out of the £5,000 target after only being online for a couple of days.

One person who donated commented on the page saying “Having met Arlo he is a lovely friendly cat and If there is a chance to save him why not help.”

Arlo now back at home, is making great progress in his recovery and returning back to his former self.

She added: “It seems incredibly positive now, he’s eating, showing good signs.

“It’s such a relief.

“Arlo is our baby, that is our family.”

You can donate by clicking here.

To see all the biggest and best stories first, sign up to read our newsletters here