Now playing
Neil Diamond Song Sung Blue

Face of Mansfield Town fan Ian Hensworth jailed after cutting friend’s throat in ‘vicious’ attack

This is the man who was sentenced to 22 years behind bars for slashing a woman’s throat over an argument about football.

Ian Hensworth, 63, of Hartley Road, Kirkby-in-Ashfield, was convicted of attempted murder after a jury deliberated for 70 minutes at Nottingham Crown Court on Wednesday, February 16.

As he was sentenced to the 22 years, of which he will serve two-thirds before he is liable for release, the judge said: “It was a determined and premeditated attempt.”

Hensworth, described by his barrister as a “functioning alcoholic”, said nothing when he went up to friend Linsey Perry, who also goes by the name Mrs Linsey Lafferty, and slashed her throat.

She had broken his Digibox following an argument over football and Hensworth, who had been recording the Euros, went off and bought the knife from Costcutter and returned, cutting her neck in front of her friends as she sat on a chair.

It was only the quick efforts of friends and a police officer who saved Mrs Lafferty, a self-professed alcoholic who loves the defendant like a dad.

Following Hensworth’s sentencing, Detective Constable James Newton, who led the case, described the act as “vicious and unprovoked” which “very nearly cost a woman her life”.

Ian Hensworth who has been jailed
Ian Hensworth who has been jailed

“If it wasn’t for the quick actions of the victim’s friends and the first police officers to the scene, it is likely that the victim would have died, and it is both fortunate and thankful that she made a recovery given the injuries he inflicted on her.

“The pair knew each other and there was a lot of trust there, so it is abhorrent that he also betrayed that.

“Astonishingly, after the incident he remained completely nonchalant, admitting the offence to officers and quite bluntly stating he thought he had killed her, saying that the reason was because she had ‘messed up his football’.

“Not only this, he then went on to plead not guilty and put the victim and others involved through a trial, which could only go one way given the evidence.

“I am very pleased that the courts have recognised the seriousness of Hensworth’s actions and that he will now go on to serve a lengthy jail term.

“I hope this gives him the opportunity to reflect on his actions and realise the impact this has caused, and I also hope the victim is able to seek closure from this now and move forward with her life.”

For more stories from where you live, visit InYourArea.