Now playing
Chic Good Times

Family’s narrow escape after ‘significant’ fire breaks out at Ilkeston pet shop

No animals were inside a pet shop in Ilkeston which caught fire – but the owner and his family made a lucky escape.

Firefighters were called to the ‘significant fire’ at 1st 4 Pets in Bath Street just before 5pm on Saturday, October 9.

Incident commander Steve Ratcliffe told Nottinghamshire Live there “were no pets inside during the fire” and that the business owner and his family had tried to put the blaze out.

The fire chief said: “The business owner and his family were in the building at the time of the fire, they attempted to tackle the fire without success.

“They got themselves out OK.”

Crews from across Derbyshire and Nottinghamshire were called to the scene, and thick, black smoke could be seen billowing into the sky.

On arrival, Mr Ratcliffe, of Derbyshire Fire and Rescue Service, said smoke was coming from the roof and flames from the windows.

“It’s a significant fire,” he said, explaining the fire had spread.

“At the moment we’re just damping it down, the fire’s gone from the first floor through the roof and it’s also come down into the ground floor as well,” he said on Saturday evening.

Witnesses said they instinctively hoped animals were unharmed.

Tina Barsby, 62, who works at Cashino in Bath Street, said: “As soon as I heard about it I kept thinking ‘those poor animals’.”

Retired Trev Jolly, 66, was stunned by what he saw.

“I’ve only just seen it – I was just coming here to get cash out at the bank,” he said.

“You can see the smoke rising though, I’ve never seen this many fire trucks.”