A former school building, right in the centre of Clay Cross, has revealed its secrets one last time before it’s torn down to be replaced with housing.
Clay Cross Junior School first opened in 1894 and carried on educating the children of the former mining town for more than a century, finally closing its doors for the last time in 2009.
Since then, the building has sat empty and has been declared dangerous by the local council.
Now, prior to the bulldozers moving in, urban explorer Venturing Off Limits has been inside the building for one last look around at the dilapidated school, exposing the haunting rooms and corridors once filled with noise from hundreds of children.
Schoolwork still adorns the walls and the stage in the main hall appears, apart from the rubbish and pigeon droppings, to be ready to hold one last performance with the scenery still in place beyond the curtain.
Posting the pictures on their Facebook page, Venturing Off Limits, said: “Being of a typical Victorian design it follows the same layout as other schools of the same age.
“It has a large multifunctional hall/gym/dining room, with classrooms coming off the side of it.
“The council say key parts of the building will be saved and reclaimed during the demolition process including plaques and ornamental brickworks to mark the historic significance of the building and its heritage and will be reused within the regeneration plans for Clay Cross.”
The post has generated a number of comments from former pupils at the school, who’ve been remembering happier days when it was a busy place of education rather than the rundown, pigeon-infested, shadow of its former self.
Scroll down below to see the pictures of the site.