Now playing
Station Offline

The medical conditions that could entitle you to extra support from DWP

2.7 million people in the UK are currently claiming Personal Independence Payments.

The tax-free benefit offers additional financial assistance to successful claimants and helps with some of the extra costs if you have a long term physical or mental health condition or disability.

Personal Independence Payments involve council tax reductions, benefit top-ups, and free or discounted public transport.

The financial support is between £23.70 and £152.15 every week, and is paid every four weeks. This means claimants can receive between £94.80 and £608.60 monthly, completely tax-free, reports Chronicle Live.

However, many individuals do not claim it, or fail to check if they’re entitled to it as they believe they aren’t eligible.

In fact, there are a list of conditions, disorders and diseases which claimants currently receiving monthly support payments have.

These are the main disability categories, the umbrella term by which a multitude of other conditions fall under, according to the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP).

This list is only an overview of conditions, disorders and diseases and how the DWP lists the main disabilities being claimed for:

  • Haematological Disease
  • Infectious disease
  • Malignant disease
  • Metabolic disease
  • Psychiatric disorders
  • Neurological disease
  • Visual disease
  • Hearing disorders
  • Cardiovascular disease
  • Gastrointestinal disease
  • Diseases of the liver, gallbladder, biliary tract
  • Skin disease
  • Musculoskeletal disease
  • Autoimmune disease (connective tissue disorders)
  • Genitourinary disease
  • Endocrine disease
  • Respiratory disease
  • Multisystem and extremes of age
  • Diseases of the immune system

You can get PIP whether you’re working or not, and you don’t have to have worked or paid National Insurance contributions. You must be aged 16 or over and usually have not reached State Pension age to claim.

Never miss another Nottinghamshire story with our free email updates

A view of Nottingham's Old Market Square.

If you want to make sure you’re in the loop with what’s happening locally, subscribe to our free email updates.

We’ll send you daily Nottinghamshire Live newsletters, plus breaking news as it happens, directly to your inbox.

All you have to do is head to this page and select the newsletters you want to receive – or enter your email into the black box at the top of this story.

You must also have a physical or mental health condition or disability where you:

  • have had difficulties with daily living or getting around (or both) for three months
  • expect these difficulties to continue for at least 9 months

You usually need to have lived in England, Scotland or Wales for at least two of the last three years, and be in one of these countries when you apply. If you’ve recently returned from living in a European Economic Area (EEA) country, you might be able to get PIP sooner.

To make a new PIP claim, you must call the DWP on 0800 917 2222.

You can find out more about eligibility, what you’ll get and how to apply for PIP on the UK government website.